checkout

Meet Jane Benson!

December 8, 2011

Posted by Anne

Jane and Andrew

Jane Benson and I e-met two and a half years ago when she contacted me to inquire about writing for me. It wasn’t until this past summer, though, when we finally met face-to-face, that we knew unequivocally that we had been separated at birth.

I had recently moved from New Mexico to Maine, and I emailed Jane (who lives in Massachusetts) that since we were now neighbors we should meet. She emailed back “Sure! How’s this Sunday?” She and her amazingly delightful teenage son Andrew and I had a lovely but too-short afternoon where we learned that:

• Jane and I had both lived on Prescott Street in Cambridge, MA
  • Jane and I are both terrified of social media
  • Jane and I both hate entertaining and are overwhelmed by grocery stores
  • Jane and I had both, on our first and only roller coaster rides – hers in Nantasket, mine in Old Orchard Beach, made promises to God premised on him getting us off the roller coasters alive

I know: we come off as a couple of world-class wusses… but really we are both very brave women… and we were quite obviously separated at birth.

Jane has been a finalist in the caption contest at least half a dozen times. This contest submission of Jane’s became a magnet this past summer:

And this Jane Benson caption is one of my all-time favorites:

Thank you Jane, for making us all laugh over and over again!

9 Responses to “Meet Jane Benson!”

1. Lindsey McGee on December 8th, 2011 7:20 pm

I love the “my needs last” caption! It’s one of my all time favs!

2. Sherry on December 9th, 2011 5:37 pm

Jane you are hilarious!!

3. Jane Benson on December 12th, 2011 5:53 pm

Thank you Sherry, Lindsey and Kristy! And thank you, Anne Taintor, for all the fun. Where else do the silly, sick, sarcastic, and most of all smart come to meet every month!? I look forward to the contest every month and seeing all the wide-ranging wacky things people come up with. It’s always fun to read the comment board too!

4. Ellen Macdonald on December 16th, 2011 12:32 pm

My mom has the “my needs last” magnet on her fridge. I bought it for her as soon as I saw it, because it sums up her outlook on life AND actually looks like her, back in the day. Coincidentally, mom and I both had our first roller-coaster rides on that rickety old thing at Nantasket. Thanks, Jane and Anne, for your humor and fun!

5. Jane Benson on December 17th, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi Ellen,

I love your “Bloody Mary” magnet!

6. Ellen Macdonald on December 19th, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks, Jane! But mom still loves yours more.

7. Catherine Seiberling Pond on January 5th, 2012 1:51 pm

Wonderful captions! They are all pitch perfect! (And I would love to write for Anne Taintor, too, but should probably win a contest first…)

This is my favorite place to visit on the web, even more than Facebook or the New Yorker caption contest!

8. Anne Taintor on January 5th, 2012 3:37 pm

Catherine, I love hearing that this is your favorite place to visit!!! Now I wish I were a more consistent blogger! And about those New Yorker cartoon contests… HOW did “Be careful about Ctrl-M” win out over “I was just made pardner”???

9. Rita Krause on January 22nd, 2014 10:21 pm

I love this! It’s wonderful hearing about the writers and friends behind the fabulousness!

Anne Taintor